My computer is running slowly! Can you fix it?
Yes, we can. The slowness is often caused when too many programs are running at the same time. These can be promotional programs installed by the manufacturer, and even viruses or spyware. There are several categories of software that we eliminate during this step.
Unnecessary programs can be simply uninstalled, however we go a step further, carefully removing parts of the program that are left behind by the uninstall process so that your computer is as “clean” as possible.
But viruses and spyware often must be removed with a different method, to ensure that they’re really gone and don’t come back.
While we are cleaning up your computer, we like to also provide information about how to avoid the kinds of problems that caused the slowness in the first place, so your presence and participation can help us to do a better job for you. This also can be an opportunity for you to ask questions or receive training.
Very infrequently, we perform a “clean install” of your operating system when there’s a virus that cannot be removed with faster methods. This multi-step process includes the following:
- First, we survey what software is used on the computer, noting any that have data that needs to be backed up, such as accounting software, software used to run a business, ancestry data, picture libraries, music, etc. We like to find out from you which of these programs are currently used, and note any that are no longer used.
- We first save the important documents on your computer. This includes My Documents, Pictures, Music, files on the Desktop, Internet Favorites, as well as email messages and addresses. We’re careful to learn from you how you use your computer, and what we should save before moving to the next step.
- Next, we erase everything on the hard drive, and reinstall the operating system and drivers. This wiping process ensures that the bad software is completely eliminated.
- Next, we perform all necessary operating system updates, such as Windows updates. For older operating systems, this can take longer than for current versions.
- We then put your files back in place, making sure that your documents are accessible and that your email works correctly.
- Printers and other peripherals are re-installed, and any networking configurations that have been customized are completed.
- Next, we ensure that the security software is complete. We recommend NOD32 Antivirus from eset.com.
- Depending on your particular setup, additional steps may be needed. We’re careful to make sure your computer is ready for you to use right away. If you have questions, need training, or just want to be sure that we didn’t miss anything, we’ll be there.
The amount of time it takes depends on the amount of data and the number of programs in use. Some systems can be done in as little as 2 hours, while some in business settings or with lots of data can take as long as 4 hours or more. The time also depends on the speed of your computer, and occasionally the speed of your internet connection, although we try to depend on that as little as possible.
We would love to help you with your computer. If you would like to make an appointment, please call us at 515-299-4555.